7.29.2007

Beijing Bicycle

http://i.treehugger.com/files/th_images/beijing-bicycle1.jpg
In Beijing, one of the most insane cities I've ever experienced in my life...Half way around the world, 13 hrs across the Pacific Ocean, and at least, 5,000 miles from any familiar romance language, I’ve landed in the most dynamic, fascinating and surreal country of our age.

I would like to tell you how much I love the bike culture here! Imagine thousands of people on old antique bicycles everywhere--dodging crazy drivers, rickshaws and classy women carrying umbrellas to shield the sun (as if it were the 1940's)--very retro. There are more cars today than before, but imagine what it was like 10 years ago when entire streets were filled with only bikes. In Beijing, Ive been riding all over this city with my new Chinese friend, Bria, and have never had so much fun getting to know a city. Personally, it's such a high and a great duality of being totally exhilarated and scared out of your wits! Actually one of my favorite film's ::"Beijing Bicycle":: captures the very drama involved in riding one's bicycle around Beijing. If you've never seen it, go rent it, it's a really beautiful film/love-story. Watch the trailer here.

I can't say it enough: Beijing is a fantastic city and I could probably see myself moving here in the next year or so for work related purposes. But, in the meantime...

Next Stop: Shanghai

2 comments:

Carlene said...

For when you return...I have been tagged and I am tagging you. Here's how it works: Players list 8 facts/habits about themselves. At the end of the post, players then tag 8 people by posting their names and making sure they know they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment at the tagee’s blog. Have fun!

b o o n said...

i love beijing. been there six years ago. love the food and the bike, as u said. :)